The musicians of New Orleans are the heart and soul of the WWOZ community. Our local musicians create the unique music we broadcast on WWOZ, and they nurture the culture and traditions that are at the core of WWOZ’s mission.
In addition to broadcasting the recordings and live performances of New Orleans musicians, WWOZ works with scores of service organizations and community institutions to support New Orleans musicians by providing access to information, resources, services and business opportunities.
- Getting Airplay for Your CD on WWOZ: We answer some frequently asked questions about getting your CD played on the air.
- How to Submit Your Event to the Livewire Music Calendar: If you are a local musician or club with a gig to promote, check out our guidelines on submitting your event to the Livewire Music Calendar.
Economic Development and Job Skills Training
- Cutting Edge Music Business Conference: A yearly New Orleans conference that focuses on music business education.
- Sync Up, the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation's Entertainment Industry conference takes place each year during the weekends of Jazz Fest in April and May.
Grants and Other Funding
- Arts Council of New Orleans
- Louisiana Division of the Arts
- Louisiana Office of Tourism's Music Ambassador Program
- Habitat NOLA: New Orleans branch of Habitat For Humanity, the group behind the Musicians' Village.
- Neighborhood Housing Services of New Orleans (NHS): Home buying and home renovation assistance.
- Tipitina's Foundation: Tips' "Instruments Are Comin'" program increases youth participation in the Greater New Orleans area school music programs by providing new instruments.
- New Orleans Musicians' Clinic: Providing affordable health care to New Orleans musicians.
- LawHelp.org/LA: Free information on legal issues, getting legal help, community resources and courts, as well as disaster relief, employment, family law, housing, education and senior citizen rights.
- The Entertainment Law Legal Assistance Project (ELLA): A partnership of the Arts Council of New Orleans, Tipitina's Foundation and Tulane Law School Community Service Program, the ELLA Project offers free legal assistance to low-income artists, musicians, and non-profits in Louisiana. ELLA provides assistance with copyright and intellectual property, business and non-profit incorporation, contracts and other civil law matters.
- American Federation of Musicians: New Orleans Local 174-496 provides valuable assistance for professional musicians.
Jazz: An Endangered Art Form
- Jazz Foundation of America: An organization dedicated to preserving the history and future of jazz and promoting all types of jazz.
- New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation: WWOZ's parent organization helps preserve jazz through performaces, festivals, education and more
New Orleans Relief Organizations
- New Orleans Musician's Relief Fund: Contributions to the New Orleans Musician's Relief Fund are tax-deductible and go toward giving assistance to displaced New Orleans musicians.
Help For Musicians Everywhere
- MusiCares: Organization set up by the Grammys and providing assistance to musicians.
- Musicians Foundation, Inc.: Support for all musicians, regardless of genre.
- MusicMaker Relief Foundation: A non-profit organization dedicated to helping the true pioneers and forgotten heroes of Southern musical traditions gain recognition and meet their day-to-day needs.
- Music Rising: A national campaign created by U2's The Edge and producer Bob Ezrin with lead partners Gibson Guitar and Guitar Center/Musician's Friend, administered by the MusiCares Foundation.
- Society of Singers: An organization for professional singers.