FCC/WWOZ Underwriting Regulations and Policies
Due to FCC regulations of non-commercial airwaves, there are several rules we must abide by in any underwriting announcement. The following is a brief description of what can and cannot be used.
Legal or trade name must be stated to identify the underwriter.Any or all of the following may be used in acknowledgment copy:
- Telephone number, email address, website and location of business or area served
- Days of operation
- A listing of up to three products or services
- Product origin ("French wine")
- Intended use of product ("childrens clothing")
- Product content ("wool suits")
- Form of delivery, or method of preparation ("Delivered by rickshaw" or "cooked with bottled water")
- Qualitative language (wonderful; homemade)
- Comparative language (better; most)
- "Calls to action" (call today, come by)
- Location of business using another business as a reference (located next door to...)
Corporate non-promotional slogans may be used in underwriting acknowledgments if they are in well-established use by the business and the wording stays within the spirit of these guidelines and the FCC regulations.
Underwriters may state support for the arts in general terms, but may only name WWOZ specifically ("the arts and WWOZ").
All underwriting copy, including corporate slogans, is subject to the approval of the General Manager of WWOZ-FM.
Underwriting provides support for current programs at WWOZ. Financial support does not in any way imply that sponsors may influence program content or programming decisions.