Day 9 — Thursday, March 12
Happy Birthday to our Membership Director, Crystal! Day nine of our 2009 Spring Pledge Party was our strongest yet, with 230 members joining us. No wonder! We had a ton of live music on the air! Here are pictures of what got the job done:
Live music broadcasts on Thursday:
Guitarist/singer/songwriter Vic Shepherd started off the day's live broadcast schedule on Traditional Jazz with Lisa Barrios.
The Soul Queen of New Orleans, Irma Thomas, came by to make an appeal on the air during Sherwood Collins' New Orleans Music show. She even sang a couple of ditties a cappella... before leading some folks in a heartwarming rendition of "Happy Birthday" for Crystal, our Membership Queen. One man heard Irma's voice while out and about in the French Quarter and came into the studio and picked up a Brass Pass (and got to meet Irma).
Irma Thomas sings on-air after 10 pledges came in.
Irma sings "Happy Birthday" to Crystal, WWOZ Membership Director
Happy Birthday to Crystal from all of us at 'OZ!
New WWOZ Brass Pass-er Jason Miner meets Irma Thomas
Tanya Boutté is a member of the musical Boutté clan that includes acclaimed vocalists John Boutté, Lillian Boutté and Tricia Boutté. She came into our studio to sing "At Last" and a few other tunes on Sherwood Collins' New Orleans Music show, accompanied by pianist Kyle Roussel.Tanya Boutté sings "At Last"
Pianist Kyle Roussel accompanies Tanya Boutté
Our Operations Assistant, Jorge Fuentes, poses with Tanya and Irma
Pianist and show host David Torkanowsky performed several tunes with bluesman Luther Kent on Blues Ball with David Torkanowsky. The show drew a crowd right here in the studio! Afterwards, Luther got to meet our General Manager, David Freedman.
David Torkanowsky (left) and Luther Kent
Bassist Jay Griggs plays to the 'OZ crowd
Luther Kent (left) and 'OZ General Manager David Freedman
Paul Sanchez stopped by to play a few tunes with David Torkanowsky. He told some great stories, including one from way back about how Tork told him he needed to beef up his guitar chops to match his songwriting skills. He sure did! And singer/songwriter Leslie Smith dropped in to sing backup as well as a rendition of "At Last".
Paul Sanchez strums and croons beautifully
Torkanowsky makes his appeals between songs with Paul Sanchez
Songstress Leslie Smith makes a guest appearance
Check out day-by-day highlights from our Spring 2009 Pledge Party:
- Day 10 — Friday, March 13: New Wave Brass Band
- Day 9 — Thursday, March 12: Vic Shepherd, Irma Thomas, Tanya Boutté, David Torkanowsky & Luther Kent, Paul Sanchez
- Day 8 — Wednesday, March 11: Big Dady O, Jesse Moore, Troy Turner
- Day 7 — Tuesday, March 10: Midnight Streetcar, Marc Stone, Groovesect, Big Al Carson, Jimmy Carpenter
- Day 6 — Monday, March 9: Rick Trolsen
- Day 5 — Sunday, March 8: Samuel Doores, Leroy Jones & Todd Duke
- Day 4 — Saturday, March 7: Brasilliance!
- Day 3 — Friday, March 6: Bob French and Friends, Liese's Living Room & the Village Copper Thieves
- Day 2 — Thursday, March 5: David Torkanowsky
- Day 1 — Wednesday, March 4: West Bank Mike & Irene Sage, Abita Blues Band, NOCCA Jazz Ensemble