Salú Boston Baked Beans
This simple, yet undeniable summer staple comes courtesy of Salú Bistro and Bar as a feature on their July BBQ Menu. Salu's recipe reinvents the classic side dish with decadent pork belly, veal stock, and of course some brown sugar. The entree pairing of your choice is going to have to put up a fight to next to these beans!
2 cups Pork Belly, diced (substitute thick cut bacon if necessary)
1 each White Onion, small dice
3 cups Great Northern Beans, soaked over night
1/2 lb Brown Sugar
3 T Molasses
1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup Tomato Paste
2 qt Veal Stock
2 qt Water
Salt and Pepper
- Render the pork belly in a pan until crispy; drain off half of the fat.
- Sweat the onion down in the pork fat.
- Turn heat to high and add the beans; stir to coat.
- Add brown sugar, molasses, Dijon and tomato to the mixture and stir well.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the mixture does not burn on the bottom of the pot.
- Add the stock and water to the pan and bring to a boil. Turn to a low simmer and cover and cook for 2-3 hours, stirring every 10 minutes.
Stop by Salú for some savory family-style French, Italian, and Spanish cuisine. Located at 3226 Magazine Street.