Just in time for Carnival! This fantastic version of King Cake comes from Cochon Butcher and Executive Pastry Chef Maggie Scales. It combines butter brioche, cinnamon filling, and icing.
All-Purpose Flour 2 cups
Bread Flour 2 cups
Granulated Sugar ¼ cup
Yeast 1 Tablespoon and 1 Teaspoon
Water ½ cup
Eggs 6 each
Unsalted Butter, room temp 10 oz. (2 ½ sticks)
Yield: 2 individual King Cakes
1. Combine all ingredients except the butter in a stand mixer with the paddle for 5 min on low speed.
2. With the mixer running, slowly add small amounts of the room temperature butter until completely incorporated into the dough.
3. Continue to mix in the stand mixer with the paddle on low speed for 5 min. After 5 minutes, scrape down the bowl.
4. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and mix for 5 min. After 5 minutes, scrape down the bowl.
5. Turn the mixer up to high speed and mix until dough is strong, shiny and clings to the paddle (about 5 min).
6. Place the dough in a bowl sprayed with oil spray and wrap well with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
7. To prepare King Cakes, preheat oven to 350F.
8. Divide chilled dough into 2 equal pieces.
9. Roll each piece into a rectangle about ¼ inch thick. Apply your filling liberally. (See below)
10. Roll up each strip into a rope, pinching the dough gently to keep it rolled up. Bring the dough together into a circle, tucking one end into the other and pinching the edges together.
11. Place each ring onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and cover with a tea towel. Allow to rise in a warm spot in the kitchen, about 80F. This may take up to 2 or 3 hours depending on the temperature. Your King Cakes will double in size.
12. Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes until light golden in color. Remove from oven and allow to cool at room temperature.
13. Apply icing, festive sanding sugars and serve. (See below)
Light brown sugar 1 cup, packed
Ground Cinnamon 1 Tablespoon
Unsalted Butter, room temp 1 Tablespoon
Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and mix until the butter has disappeared. Alternatively, place all ingredients in a bowl and with your hands, combine thoroughly.
King Cake Icing
Powdered Sugar 2 1/2 cups
Milk 4 Tablespoons
Unsalted Butter, melted 2 Tablespoons
Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
Mix all ingredients together in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix until smooth. Spread onto cooled King Cakes and decorate with festive sanding sugars. Serve.
Yield: Topping for 4 individual King Cakes.