Located on Magazine Street a couple of blocks above Napoleon, Osteria Lupo showcases Northern Italian cuisine. Here's their recipe for Mushroom Campanelle, a version of mushroom ragu. It's vegetarian, and made with fresh pasta and a variety of fresh mushrooms. "Osteria Lupo" comes from an Italian good luck expression, "in bocca al lupo", translating literally to "in the mouth of the wolf."
1 pound fresh Campanelle pasta or other fresh hollow center pasta 6 oz. Porcini m, substitute reconstituted dried mushrooms or porcini powder 6 oz. Shiitake mushrooms 6 oz. Oyster mushrooms ½ C. shallot, minced 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped 1 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, to taste 4 oz. dry white wine 12 oz. chicken or vegetable stock 3 oz. heavy cream ½ ea. lemon juice, to taste 2 tbsp. chives, minced 2 oz. Parmesan, to taste Salt Black Pepper Sea Salt
1. Put a large pot of heavily salted water on high heat on the stove to cook the pasta.
2. Set a large, heavy bottom sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is hot and shimmering, add your mushrooms. Depending on the size of your pan you may want to work in a couple of batches.
3. Add the shallot, garlic, thyme, oregano, rosemary and chili flakes to the mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook for several minutes until the shallots begin to soften and the garlic has mellowed.
4. Add the white wine and allow it to reduce until nearly dry.
5. Add the chicken (or vegetable) stock and reduce by half.
6. Add the cream and lower the heat to a gentle simmer.
7. Cook the pasta in the salted water pot until a bit firmer than al dente. Fresh pasta cooks very quickly, and you’ll remove it from the water early so that it can finish cooking in the sauce.
8. Add a couple of ounces of starchy pasta water to the mushroom pan.
9. Toss the pasta in the mushroom ragu to evenly coat, cook for two minutes over very low heat to allow the flavors to combine.
10. Squeeze the lemon half into the pasta, be sure to taste.
11. Divide evenly among four plates or bowls.
12. Top with grated parmesan, minced chives and a pinch of sea salt.