If you’re passionate about preserving and presenting our unique cultural heritage to a global audience, if you’re motivated by helping build a vital cultural community around the world to support New Orleans music, WWOZ is always looking for passionate and talented people to help the station grow and advance its mission.
Most station staff members began as volunteers and learned that they could fulfill their professional ambitions and do something they loved by working at WWOZ. Be sure to check out our Volunteer page to find out about volunteer opportunities.
» Download Current EEO Public File
Job Title: Membership Associate
Employment Type: Full-time, non-exempt
The WWOZ Membership Associate will be responsible for the database management, data entry and cash processing of individual and corporate donors’ contributions to WWOZ, the volunteer-powered, community public radio station that brings New Orleans’ music to the universe.
Working with the Development team and reporting to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the WWOZ Membership Associate will use donor management databases MemSys, Blackbaud Luminate and Salesforce to advance the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of the approximately 10,000 individuals and dozens of businesses that support WWOZ through monetary and in-kind contributions.
The Membership Associate will also be called upon to represent the station to the community as an integral component of WWOZ’s outreach presence at festivals and other special events. The ideal candidate will have experience with setting up an outreach table and engaging with both WWOZ listeners and curious festival-goers to broaden WWOZ’s connections with the community it serves and advance WWOZ’s mission, which is to be the worldwide authentic voice, archive and flag-bearer of New Orleans culture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Process incoming membership, major gift and corporate support payments—including assignment of source codes—and update sustaining membership payment information.
- Assist the Development team and coordinate with volunteers during WWOZ outreach and member events at festivals and other special events in the New Orleans area and occasionally, outside.
- Work with the Membership Director to evaluate, revise, document, and maintain production and reporting data operations procedures, protocols and business rules for WWOZ.
- Liaison with the CDO, Chief Financial Officer (CFO), and Membership Director for reconciliation of processed development revenue with monthly P&L statements. Alert CDO, CFO, and development staff on an ongoing basis to fulfilled corporate support contributions.
- Coordinate with WWOZ’s digital team to create new online donation forms for event ticket sales, underwriting and other development activities, as needed, and to update thank-you gift “premium” images on the site.
- Ensure donors receive acknowledgements, thank-you letters, and thank-you gift “premiums” in a timely manner.
- Work with Membership Director to coordinate donors’ WWOZ Brass Pass purchase reservations and on-site fulfillment of same at locations around the New Orleans metropolitan area, including WWOZ itself and the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival.
- Check donation comments daily to stay aware of donor issues, communicate with donors who leave comments for high-touch donor relations, respond to incoming donor inquiries and issues, and train and support on-air fundraising volunteers who take in-bound donor calls during WWOZ’s bi-annual membership drives.
Bachelor’s (preferred) or Associate’s Degree.
Two to five years’ experience in a data centric enterprise, preferably a non-profit organization.
Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity and facility with database applications and maintaining, refining and creating systems that track and support net revenue and successful individual giving operations.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Familiarity and facility with key performance indicator metrics—cost to raise a dollar, ROI, average gift, percent response, et al.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel and quickly learn other proprietary database programs.
- Skilled at creating and interpreting reports that show performance of fundraising initiatives.
- A passion for and understanding of WWOZ’s mission and the importance of New Orleans music and culture.
- Good customer-service oriented attitude, attentive not only to engaged listener members but also curious passers-by.
- Self-starter, self-motivated.
- Ability to seek solutions both independently and within a team environment, as situations dictate.
- Ability to work with, supervise, and coordinate WWOZ’s diverse corps of dedicated volunteers.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and own a functioning vehicle, as travel and transportation of WWOZ outreach materials to special events and festivals is required.
- Candidates must be comfortable with traveling and be able to accommodate a flexible work schedule, including considerable evening and weekend work.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and at least three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Membership Associate.” The deadline to apply is Wednesday, September 30, 2015. No telephone calls or walk-ins, please.
WWOZ is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with physical disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members.