The musicians of New Orleans are the heart and soul of the WWOZ community. Our local musicians create the unique music we broadcast on WWOZ, and they nurture the culture and traditions that are at the core of WWOZ’s mission.
In addition to broadcasting the recordings and live performances of New Orleans musicians, WWOZ works with scores of service organizations and community institutions to support New Orleans musicians by providing access to information, resources, services and business opportunities.
Economic Development and Job Skills Training
Grants and Other Funding
- Tipitina's Foundation: Tips' "Instruments Are Comin'" program increases youth participation in the Greater New Orleans area school music programs by providing new instruments.
- LawHelp.org/LA: Free information on legal issues, getting legal help, community resources and courts, as well as disaster relief, employment, family law, housing, education and senior citizen rights.
- The Entertainment Law Legal Assistance Project (ELLA): A partnership of the Arts Council of New Orleans, Tipitina's Foundation and Tulane Law School Community Service Program, the ELLA Project offers free legal assistance to low-income artists, musicians, and non-profits in Louisiana. ELLA provides assistance with copyright and intellectual property, business and non-profit incorporation, contracts and other civil law matters.
Buy a CD to Help New Orleans Musicians
Jazz: An Endangered Art Form
New Orleans Relief Organizations
- Sweet Home New Orleans: One of WWOZ's partner organizations, SHNO offers social services, financial assistance and instrument repair, among many other programs.
- New Orleans Musician's Relief Fund: Contributions to the New Orleans Musician's Relief Fund are tax-deductible and go toward giving assistance to displaced New Orleans musicians.
Help For Musicians Everywhere
- MusiCares: Organization set up by the Grammys and providing assistance to musicians.
- Musicians Foundation, Inc.: Support for all musicians, regardless of genre.
- MusicMaker Relief Foundation: A non-profit organization dedicated to helping the true pioneers and forgotten heroes of Southern musical traditions gain recognition and meet their day-to-day needs.
- Music Rising: A national campaign created by U2's The Edge and producer Bob Ezrin with lead partners Gibson Guitar and Guitar Center/Musician's Friend, administered by the MusiCares Foundation.
- Rhythm & Blues Foundation: Supports R&B and Motown artists of the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s.
- Society of Singers: An organization for professional singers.