Login or Register to post comments

The Healing Power of WWOZ

A Listener Testimonial

I would like to share with you what has happened to me since the last time I was in New Orleans and what WWOZ means to me.

I am a band director who has 30 years of teaching experience. At the end of the 2006-07 school year, I started to feel congested. My wife tried to get me to go to the doctor. I refused because of concerts, grades, and shutting school down. I could always go next week. To shorten what happened, I went from strep, to cellulitis and pneumonia, to sepsis and toxic shock syndrome, multiple organ failure, and MRSA. I was given less than a 10% chance of survival. I spent three months in the hospital, running up a $750,000 tab.

After I learned how to walk again, I was sent home for an uncertain length of recovery time. All I knew was that I would not start the new school year. I had two pressure wounds that would have to be treated before I could even consider returning to work. I was anemic and my walking was very unstable, even with a walker.

As the months went on, my wife expressed concern that she felt I was becoming depressed. I could not imagine why she would think that. After all, I was staying by myself alone all day while she taught. I did not have access to the computer. I had already grown tired of daytime (and nighttime) TV while I was in the hospital. I did not know whether I would be able to return to my life's work, teaching music. Why should I be depressed?

In November, I finally got to the point that I could climb the stairs and get to the computer. I did this without telling my wife. She would have given me grief for climbing the stairs while I was alone. The first thing I did was to turn 'OZ on, and I kept it on while she was at work. I had to turn it off when she called to let me know she was on the way home. Two things happened when I could turn the web radio on. (1) I did not turn the TV on at all and (2) more important, my wife said I did not seem depressed anymore.

I could enjoy being able to spend my day in New Orleans by way of 'OZ. My wife figured out by the Winter Break that I had been going upstairs and turning on the web radio. It did not matter. I was getting around better. My attitude was better. By early February, my doctor said that I could go back to work at the end of the month. I started back on the 25th. One concern I had was the "withdrawals" that I would experience from not getting to listen to 'OZ all day.

During the 2006 Jazz Fest, the t-shirts had the slogan "the healing power of music" on them. They could have said the same thing for 'OZ. There is no doubt that WWOZ played a major role in my long recovery, just as it did in New Orleans' recovery after Katrina.

I would especially like to compliment Bill DeTurk and Bob French. There was never a dull moment listening to their shows. I looked forward to their shows. Bill also took the time to talk to me when I called. It was welcomed human contact. I am looking forward to the Jazz Fest and spending time in the hospitality area.

Thank you, your staff, and the volunteers for all that you do.

Login or Register to post comments