Member's Forum.
Login or Register to post comments or add forum topics

What groups play what I call voodoo music?

Posted in:

There is a bunch of music that has a special feel and sound to it. Examples are Dr. John's Gris-Gris Zuzu Mamou and Dream Warrior, Miles Runs the Voodoo Down, Jimi's Voodoo Chile, much of Tony Joe White's general material. It often has a slow tempo and very funky beat, strong bass, lots of percussion, sometimes only uses one chord or just in a single key, sounding mostly minor or pentatonic. I used to refer to it as swamp music, but it appears that so much comes under that heading like Zydeco, Cajun, certain kinds of blues, R&B. What I'm looking for has a special feel, mood, movement. And it doesn't have to have any hoodoo recipes.

Anybody out there got some thoughts? Be most grateful.

There's great version of "I

There's great version of "I Put a Spell On You" with Tab Benoit and Debbie Davis...

Thanks Mike, I found a

Thanks Mike,

I found a version of Tab Benoit and Debbie Davis doing 'Deal With it' and Tab doin 'I Put a Spell on You', but not the two together. However, I now have two new excellent artists research and listen to. Each of those songs has a different portion of the feel I was trying to describe, 'Deal' has that slower driving funk beat (though in my musical memory it goes even slower and has nasty all over it) and 'Put a Spell' has that mysterious dark minor key blues.

This same discussion is going on in a forum in the NoDepression websitehttp://www.nodepression.com/forum/topics/who-plays-real-voodoo-music.
I'm learning that trying go give it a name or a genre like 'voodoo' or swamp or bayou just proves that genres are gone and useless anymore. I find that pointing at particular artists or with particular artists with other particular artists all have a different unique sound, mood, rhythm, tempo, color, mystery or wide open. So I'm leaving the original question but now just looking for artists who fit, in part or in whole some of what my scibblings have tried to suggest.

Once again, thanks

Whispered Lyrics

Part of that Dr. John sound on Zuzu Mamou comes from his whispered lyric. Female singers using whispered lyrics are more common (sound "sexy") but guys don't whisper lyrics very often. When they do, it makes an impact and it often sounds mystical. Try Don Cherry's 1970-ish release of Brown Rice for an extended example of whispered lyric and I think you'll find the same sound you're seeking.

Also,

The "I see dead people" line made famous by that little toe-headed actor kid. He whispered all those trademark lines.

Jamie Dell'Apa
Saturday midnight to Sunday 3am

If you dare....

Tune in to the Problem Child on a Friday afternoon from 2 - 4 pm. She'll take ya to the Swamp.

If I dare?

I don't let nobody guide me to the swamp unless it be a Problem Child. that means see you, or hear you, Friday afternoon at two sharp. I have a feeling this is gonna be what I've been lookin' for.

Thanks,

The Bear do dare!
That is Barry Garneau true Acadian and appreciate that Acadian day was celebrated and homage to the contribution they made. It's not that much different than what they did in Acadia before Evangeline, now Emelline I'm led to understand a giant oak dedicated to her however you spell it. Man you can't beat New Orleans, the bayous, the swamps and all those I'm missing, for knowing what truly is worthy of celebration in this world

Whispering Pines

I apologize for missing your comment for so long, bronchitis to the bone making for whispering as voice. I have always thought that part in Zuzu Mamou was attention getting, and as you say it makes room for the mysitical.

I will look into Don Cherry, who by the way was one of the early teachers at the Creative Music Studio here in Woodstock in about '72 along with Karl Berger, Ingrid Sertso (a mystic and a mystical sounding singer and poet using a wide range of vocal talents. Don Cherry was I think next on board. They are still going and digitalizing 400+hours of unreleased material from those times which were done on reel to reel, but along with each cd there is an archival piece. A lenghty written booklet with people still who are still with us telling stories about those artists no longer with us and trying to get it done before they're gone. Like the griots of today. In fact the third piece is a Mandingo Griot group It is done in collaboration with Columbia University. If you would like more info or talk about it, don't hesitate to contact me.

I'm not sure who the kid is you speak of, but the line is interesting.

Thank you Jamie Dell'Apa and will have my ears on saturday midnight your time.

Thanks,

Barry Garneau
pinegrove43@yahoo.com

Login or Register to post comments or add forum topics