Member's Forum.
Login or Register to post comments or add forum topics

Sign petition to reopen Armstrong Park

Hi,

If you would like to see Armstrong Park reopen, please sign this petition I created:
http://www.change.org/petitions/reopen-the-historic-louis-armstrong-park

Sign petition to urge New Orleans City Hall to make the reopening of Louis Armstrong Park a priority. The park hasn't remained consistently open in almost six years due to various botched restoration efforts. It is high time for New Orleans residents and visitors alike to have the opportunity to enjoy this wonderful historic park again!

FYI: If you have trouble signing the petition, here's the reason... So just KEEP TRYING, it'll work eventually!! Usually when you reload/refresh a few times, it'll open up.

"Change.org is currently experiencing intermittent downtime due to a denial of service attack from China in response to a petition that has received nearly 100,000 signatures worldwide standing against the detention of Chinese artist and activist Ai WeiWei. This attack is a sign of the influence of grassroots activists on repressive regimes, and Change.org will continue to stand for the free speech and freedom to organize for people everywhere. In the meantime, we apologize for any inconvenience."

And please forward the link to your contacts so we can get the ball rolling!

Thanks,

Katja

Here's the petition letter...

Greetings,

To the Honorable Mayor Mitch Landrieu, New Orleans City Council, New Orleans Department of Parks and Parkways, National Park Service, and Mahalia Jackson Theater for the Performing Arts,

I am writing in regard to the reopening of the Louis Armstrong Park. The unacceptable delays that have occurred during the restoration of the park have prevented local citizens and visitors alike from enjoying the area for almost six years now.

The park should be restored immediately and all gates should be open so that it could be used not only as a recreational area but as a throughway for pedestrians and cyclists commuting between neighborhoods.

Additionally, I think that reviving the park by opening the proposed New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park location, restoring and reopening the Municipal Auditorium and possibly adding some restaurants, cafés, music clubs, and a children's playground to the area would benefit all New Orleans' residents.

Reopening the park would also provide a badly needed appropriate pedestrian entrance to the Mahalia Jackson Theater for the Performing Arts.

I hope you will make this issue a priority to the best of your ability.

Sincerely,

[Your name]

http://www.change.org/petitions/reopen-the-historic-louis-armstrong-park

Login or Register to post comments or add forum topics