The first day of the Jazz Fest opened to sunny skies, and crowds charging in to get prime spots at the biggest tents. Highlights included -
- WWOZ Brass Pass holders from all over the country, reunited with old friends in the shady oasis of the hospitality tent with fresh fruit and iced coffee. We also had the Mardi Gras Indians making special stops in the WWOZ Hospitality tent.
- Seun Kuti started out his Congo Square concert looking pretty conservative in a blue button down shirt, more like a jazz musician -- but the shirt was completely drenched in sweat by the end of his set. Seun also stopped by the WWOZ Hospitality tent for an on-air interview.
- James Andrews was burning up the Blues Tent with June Yamagishi on guitar - check out his photo in our Facebook Photo Booth Gallery of Jazz Fest Day 1, at www.facebook.com/wwozneworleans.
- The Original Tuxedo Jazz Band's first Jazz Fest under the leadership of Gerald French, nephew of Bob French, who retired in December after 31 years leading the band.
- Frankie Ford still kicking it and cracking jokes during his set at the Acura Stage, with Al "Carnival Time" Johnson and Robert "Barefootin'" Parker.
WWOZ live broadcast highlights included: Young Pinstripe Brass Band (from the Jazz and Heritage Stage); Leah Chase, Stephanie Jordan Big Band and Poncho Sanchez and his Latin Jazz Band featuring Terence Blanchard (all from the Zatarain's/WWOZ Jazz Tent).
Just a few more moments! photo Hunter King